Raptor

Brand:Wave

Model:Ma.K. (Maschinen Krieger) – Raptor 1/20

Description:

This is a nice little kit and goes together quite well. The main part to watch out for, I found was just around the top of the body/hatch, where the pilot goes, as there may be some small gaps to fill. The rest is in the painting, making sure you putty or sand some of the seam lines where parts join. I also added milliput for the joins in the suit. I just packed the milliput on top of the model parts. Then with a slightly wet shaft, of a small screwdriver I pressed it into the milliput to get the indentations where I wanted them. There are two guns/arms in the Raptor kit, I added the old one, as I will build another Raptor with the new arm later, when I get the time.

My kit was purchased from Hobby Link Japan but they currently do not stock this kit at the time of this write up.
 

Painting:

  1. The kit was first sprayed with Tamiya primer
  2. Then a base coat of Tamiya Desert Yellow spray from the can
  3. Next I applied by airbrush, Tamiya Red Brown XF-64
  4. I then added very small dots of camo with Tamiya Red Brown, Dark Green Xf-61 and Dark Yellow XF-60 all these dots were added very lightly like a wash as I did not want them to seem to dark.
  5. Then the whole thing was dull coted a couple of times
  6. Once this was dry, I started the weathering process by adding washes around recesses and where dirt would accumulate
  7. I then added some Humbrol Metal Cote for paint chips.
  8. Once all colours were dry I added some decals from an Archers dry transfer set.
  9. The rear of the kit where the engine is, was heavily weathered with Smoke and Rust Pigments from Mig
  10. The weathering effect continued by adding Mig pigments dampened with paint thinner to the model in the way of thin short stripes downward on the model to produce a rain on weathered effect. Extra washes and pastels were given to the lower legs to give a more deteriorated/worn effect.
  11. The decals were scratched/chipped to blend into the model
  12. The whole kit was then spayed with Testors Dull Cote to protect the pastels and bring all the colours together.
  13. Paint chips (Metal Cote) were buffed a little more at the end.

Painting the Pilot – The pilot’s face was painted with oils (Winsor & Newton). The helmet was painted the Vallejo paints, Beige and German Fieldgrey. The white mark on the helmet was then painted on. The whole helmet was then weathered with washes and then dull coted. Making sure during this process that the flesh parts were not touched. Once dry the red eyes were painted on and given a couple coats of gloss to make them stand out.